Web Developer Indie Game Developer
To develop technologically interesting and cunningly designed applications for the web. I am particularly interested in user interface and structured framework design, and enjoy having input on all aspects of a project as suits my diverse skill set.
Bachelor of Computer Science, University of Victoria (2001)
Sun Certified Java Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4 (2004)
Areas of Expertise
Application architecture/design at the system, function and unit levels for Web-based application systems in multi-tier environments of over 200 users, multiple sites (30+) and 100+ screens, forms, and reports.
Web and graphic design using Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash, hand-coded HTML and advanced CSS techniques. Design projects varied from corporate identity and professional web application interfaces, to public entertainment and e-commerce websites.
Data modeling and database design, integration, deployment and administration using MS SQL Server (2000/2005) and MySQL. Databases ranged in size from simple to 200+ tables and covered data migration and conversion activities.
- .NET (VBScript/C#)
- Java EE / JSP
- HTML / CSS
- Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator
- Visual Studio (2003, 2005)
- Eclipse SDK
- Macromedia Flash / Dreamweaver
- Microsoft Office
- Web Servers (Microsoft IIS, Apache)
- Database Servers (SQL Server, MySQL)
- Windows (XP, 2000, 2003, NT, 98/95)
- Linux (SuSE, Mandrake, Red Hat, Knoppix, Slackware)
Independent Game Development (2010 - present)
- Rebuild: a city building simulation game set in the Zombiepocalypse. Design, graphics, code. Flash AS3.
Three Rings Design - Web Engineer (2007 - 2010)
- Structured user testing on multiple web applications
- Designed and implemented architecture upgrades for high traffic external websites, converting from Velocity script to Java/XHTML
- Maintained billing system for multiple games and implemented a dozen new payment methods
- Designed and wrote Laws and Disorder online multiplayer card game
- puzzlepirates.com, whirled.com, threerings.net
Salus Systems - Web Developer (2003 - 2006)
- Developed and maintained professional data-driven web applications for hundreds of concurrent users
- Created a client-rich .NET 2.0 web framework for case management systems, incorporating asynchronous request handling (AJAX) and robust UI elements
- Worked with clients across Canada to tailor public web applications to their specific requirements
- Designed unique web interfaces for over 50 websites, using modern CSS techniques, Flash, and DHTML flair
- Managed projects independently from start to finish
- retailpeak.com, constructionjobstores.com, tritonlogging.com
Freelance - Web Developer (2000 - 2003)
- Website design and programming for various clients
- Used Agile development methodology for maximum flexibility with changing client requirements
- fodreams.com, aemagic.com
Assertive Technologies - Web Developer (2002 - 2003)
- Developed internal company web applications in PHP
- Designed imaginative and colourful websites with Photoshop
- bchosting.com, xxxhosting.com
Internet PM - Corporate Web Designer (2001 - 2002)
- Worked with a team to maintain a network of websites
- Designed and formatted weekly corporate publications
Please see skatc.com for a full programming and design portfolio
Workers' Advisers Office Online System
Jobstores Network of Websites
Project Manager and Primary Developer
A collection of 30+ job search and job matching websites for individual clients, running on one combined SQL Server 2000 database and shared ASP VBScript code base. Each one has a custom template including graphics, stylesheet, content and over 100 customized options. Extensive admin area allows for manual data control, while SQL Server and Windows services provide automatic administration for clients who wish it. Responsible for project management, system architecture design, programming, graphic design, data management, administration, and marketing.
BC Employment Program Online System
Employment case management system for use by WCG International Ltd. Developed in ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL Server 2005 database. Responsibilities included design of a skinnable CSS interface, and development of .NET user controls for inputting and displaying data. Focus was on accessibility and a smooth client application experience.
Triumph Planning and Employment Services
Lead Developer and Data Administrator
Disability case management web application used throughout British Columbia; written in ASP.Net 1.1 on SQL Server 2000. Incorporates a robust billing system based on a complex set of changing business rules and case milestone requirements. Dozens of print-ready government reports and an ad-hoc reporting engine help manage statistics. Function-based security system with over 150 security settings provides custom access for a variety of user types. Custom .NET user controls and pages encapsulate application security and case management flow. Responsible for system design, programming, data maintenance and system administration.
JobWave BC Online System
Web-based employment case management application used by hundreds of concurrent users all over the province. Provides complete end-to-end data capture and reporting, and secure synchronization with government database servers. Written in VBScript ASP and running on a SQL Server 2000 database. Responsible for programming new modules and performance tuning of existing ones.
References available on request